Nationally, Big Brothers Big Sisters of America has been helping children reach their potential through one-to-one mentoring relationships for more than 100 years. Today, Big Brothers Big Sisters serves more than 200,000 children in 5,000 communities across all 50 states. Big Brothers Big Sisters’ one-to-one mentoring makes a huge difference for the youth it serves. Research consistently demonstrates that Big Brothers Big Sisters’ mentoring helps at-risk youth overcome the many challenges they face. An independent study by Public/Private Ventures (P/PV) demonstrates compelling evidence that the Big Brothers Big Sisters’ model of mentoring works. The study shows that Little Brothers and Little Sisters are:
- 46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs;
- 27% less likely to begin using alcohol;
- 52% less likely to skip school;
- 37% less likely to skip class;
- More confident in their schoolwork performance;
- Able to get along better with their families.